We have one boat open if you are interested in chartering to fish the jolly mon tournament. The bite has started! First come- call 910-575-3474 to book Capt. Brant McMullan Ocean Isle Fishing Center
- "Capt. Brant McMullan"
Address: 65 Causeway Drive, Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Fall Brawl 2016 Real Time Rankings
Last Updated - 10/15/2017 06:07:26 PM
Page 55 of 388
31 pounder by team Beeracuda from the Shark Hole today Capt. Brant McMullan
Also pictured is Brandon Sauls with a 34 pound king he caught today.
And the last picture is Pat Prince with the 35 lb king he caught today during the "Winner Takes all Tournament. Ocean Isle Fishing Center
Just as things spark off in the king mackerel world at home, it's time for me to hit the road again. This time I'm down in Lake Charles, LA (basically Texas) for the final regular season event of the HT Elite redfish series. I'm now on my 3rd HT redfish tournament and I'm hopeful the gained experience will equal a more positive result in this event. I've never been to this area of Louisiana and once again am clueless about where to start. I have Monday, Tuesday and half day Wednesday to try and learn the area and find the right redfish. The weather is good right now but the forecast doesn't look good for the tournament on Thursday and Friday- typical. I've decided to stop short of Lake Charles and pre fish back to the east about 100 miles tomorrow. Depending on what I find I will likely head over to Lake Charles on Tuesday and try to find something a little closer to check out. A goal for this season for me was to qualify for the chamipionship event in March. With a reasonable finish I should be in there. Anything can happen but I'm ready to put it all together and make a showing. Hopefully I'll get this redfish thing out of my system for a while after this one and get back to work chasing a slimy king mackerel. In the meantime, good luck to all those prepping for the Jolly Mon. The timing couldn't be better.
I have been a little slack on the reporting side. The facts are that fishing is just that, FISHING! Some days it seems to be easy and others you have to work for every bite. Live shrimp and live menhaden will increase your chances at getting on the bite. We have been targeting reds at or near low tide with live baits pinned to Carolina rigs. As the water rises into the grass floating live shrimp under a cork will tempt some speckled trout. Drifting and dragging live menhaden on a Carolina rig is likely to pick up a few flounder. Come on down and lets go fishing! See ya on the water!
Travis Ketchie owner and CEO of Ketchie Outdoors and some friends showed us today the kings are here. Travis headed out on his Fountain and said they got tired of getting beat up so they didn't go as far as he'd planned.
12 year old Wyatt McGirt caught his first fish, a 27 lb Cobia within 45 minutes while fishing with his dad.
The Jolly Mon is postponed until the following weekend, June 26-29. All events will take place on the same days and same times, just one week later.
This has been a difficult decision, particularly as we are still several days out. However, in an effort to give as much time as possible for participants to change schedules and go on with their lives, we are making the call now. The weather may well turn out to be ideal, but at this time, it does not look that way and thus the call is being made.
We are tournament fishermen just like the rest of you. We have fished in the worst of conditions, just like many of you; and it can be done. However, the spirit of the Jolly Mon tournament is in its family involvement. The conditions that are forecast are not conducive to allowing many families to fish together, and thus the call has been made.
Finally, we have very limited to no flexibility in changing the date again if similar conditions are present on the reschedule dates. Thus, for all you fishermen who are out there saying that you would have fished this weekend, you will get your chance the weekend of June 26th; hopefully under better conditions, but there is certainly no guarantee.
I hope this decision will please more than it displeases. If you have entered and wish to get your entry back, I will offer a refund. EMAIL ME
Thank you for your understanding.
This weekend's weather is a concern as regards to hosting the Jolly Mon. I assure you that we are watching it and trying to make a fair decision. A decision will be made tomorrow by 12 noon as to whether the event will occur this weekend or next weekend. Visit www.OIFC.com/jmkc for information tomrrow at noon.
Thank you - Capt. Brant